Monday, September 22, 2008

Another 5K


The Sunday before last was my second 5K since I started running. The Hal Higdon training schedule I'm using calls for those at the end of certain weeks, and this was just one of those. I'm lucky that there are enough organized event runs on EVERY weekend around here (SoCal).

It happened to be another charity run, this one to raise money & awareness in the fight against ovarian cancer. It was held at CBS Studios in (where else?) Studio City. Candy came with me, and beyond that she run/walked the 5K, too! It wasn't organized very well, with confusion around parking, start times, and even the race route! They had volunteers trying to direct how the 10K, 5K, and 3K routes differed, but they didn't all appear well-informed themselves. I heard someone complain after the race that it was longer than 5K. I'm pretty sure that's right, since I know my pace very well by now. I should've come in at 30:00, and I finished after 36:00. No problem.

The cool part was how the route ended, sending us through the CBS studio lot, running down "New York Street" which had facade storefronts to look like a location in NYC for tv shoots (maybe movies). It had a deli, brownstones, an independent bookstore... cool! At other parts of the route we ran along internal company streets named Gunsmoke, Newhart, and Mary Tyler Moore. We saw the bungaloes where writers and producers for today's shows work during the week.



No comments: