Sunday, September 7, 2008

6 miles! But it wasn't easy...

The good news--the great news--is that I made my runs the rest of the week, including the increase to six miles for my big run on Sunday (this morning). In fact, even the midweek runs made a big jump to 4 miles on two workdays. So far, so good, but I'm starting to encounter some problems. Maybe not big problems, but I'm concerned.

First, there was that back spasm last week. Nothing like that has happened again, so hopefully that's behind me.

Those midweek runs are becoming much more time-consuming, which got me into work later than I'd like two days. Of course I could just get up earlier, but I'm already up at 5:30 or so. It's still too hot around here to run in the evening. I guess I just need to go to bed earlier and set that alarm.

I needed to walk during some of the 6-miler today, especially between 4-5 miles. I was just wiped out. At least I eventually recovered enough to run the last mile and a half. Since this was a weekend, I didn't get up super early, which meant by the time I was out there it was already getting hot. I had my little 8 oz water bottle which I drained during the run. Perhaps I need more? I doubt a powerbar would make a difference, though I guess that's possible. I think it's just that my training program is ramping up, and it's a struggle for me.

I bet the best thing for me to do is get back on the wagon to do my cross-training on the off days, and eat better. I've gotten pretty bad about both of these lately. A month ago I was still running greater distances all the time, but I was keeping up with the rest of the program, too (eating right & cross-training). Gotta get back to that.

-Mark

No comments: