Monday, September 28, 2009

Running in Switzerland


We've had the opportunity to travel to Europe four times now, but only this last trip was after the time when I'd started running. Like my other travels since taking it up, I was looking forward to running in a new, exciting place. That was how I felt about San Francisco, of course, but even to Long Island and Alabama. Just being in a new place is fun, and there's something about the act of running that lets me take in my surroundings in a special way (even when I'm listening to something in my earphones). Running through a historic town in central Switzerland was a real thrill, made even better by the BBC podcast in my ears about European history!

Our hotel was in a great location right in Luzern near the historic Kapellebrücke. I'd hoped to get in two runs during our week, but business and vacation took priority and I only had the chance once. It was early in the morning, still cool outside, and I went from the hotel down along the river Reuss, past several bridges in the nice part of town into the more modern, working part of the city. Then I crossed over and came back toward the remnants of the city wall & tower. For that part I had to walk since it was a steep hill & stairs. Once I'd regained my breath at the top I started up again along the wall, then down into the old town across to the lakeshore. From there I ran a little ways down, but then turned around and headed back to the hotel, finishing up across the famous wooden bridge! (3.5 miles)

No comments: