Saturday, January 24, 2009

2009 Goals

Here are my running goals for the coming year. I have lots of other goals, and I'm a fan of New Year's Resolutions as a motivator. These are the ones that relate to running & fitness.
  1. Run a half-dozen races this year, two of them 10K's, the rest 5K's.
  2. Run a PR at one of the 5K's.
  3. Do cross-training of some time (5BX, cycling, swimming, something more than walking) 80% of the days.
  4. Strengthen my right knee to reduce pain.
It's now pretty clear to me that going from no-running to a half-marathon in seven months, and at an overweight age 42 was a little too ambitious. I made it--something I'm still so happy about--but a more gradual pace is probably better for my body. Improved health & fitness is my goal, after all.

That's why I'm not planning any longer races in 2009. The 10K's are long enough, thank you. They still require some dedicated training schedules with a taper before the actual race. That's what I've read, anyway.

As for the 5K personal record, I doubt a PR is achievable every year, but it's still so early in my "running history" that I have to believe it's achievable.

I don't have an overall or monthly mileage goal, or a target pace time. If I do these things, I'll be very pleased with my continued running in 2009, ready to try more in 2010. Earlier I set a weight loss goal for myself, too, but I'm hopeful that that will just "come along for the ride" if I keep at this running and keep eating a little better. (No set goal for that, either, just keep improving.)

No comments: